We have a new chaplain!
We have a new chaplain! Reverend Toomas Makipaa starts in the summer here at Saint Alban's.
He has more experience of ministry of the diocese in Europe than almost any other priest in the diocese.
Originally hailing from Finnish Lapland, Reverend Tuomas Makipaa is serving as the Chaplain of St. Nicholas in Helsinki since 2012, concurrently holding the position of Area Dean of Finland. Currently overseeing a diverse congregation with 20 different nationalities, our church similarly embraces approximately 25 nationalities. In addition to his regular pastoral duties, Rev. Tuomas Makipaa bears the responsibility of supervising Anglican ministry in various cities across Finland and in Tallinn, Estonia. As an Area Dean, he provides support to the bishop and Archdeacon, engaging in a wide array of local, ecumenical, and inter-religious initiatives.
Furthermore, Rev. Tuomas Makipaa represents the clergy of this diocese on General Synod which is the Church of England's parliament. He also serves as one of the Assistant Diocesan Directors of Ordinands, and chaired the Diocesan House of Clergy from 2016 to 2022. Recently accepted into the Church of England’s Strategic Leadership Development Programme, he brings a wealth of experience and commitment to his role.
A native of Pello, Finland, Rev. Tuomas Makipaa is married to Suvi Mäkipää, and together, they have four children.
We are confident that his involvement will greatly benefit our church, given his:
- Dedication to creating partnerships and collaborating closely with other churches.
- Firm belief in services that are uplifting and transformative.
- Recognition of the importance and purpose of children and youth in the eucharistic life of the church.
- Vision for the church building as a place for developing mission and ministry.
- Commitment to a non-discriminatory church environment.
- Knowledge about the diocese in Europe, with experience in ecumenical relations, particularly with Anglican-Lutheran, Catholic, and Orthodox churches.
We look forward to Reverend Tuomas joining us in the summer.